Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cultural Decay

Today I heard a rap song by Ludacris called Sex Room. Now, I don't normally listen to rap but I have been working at the high school and exposed to the musical tastes of teens. Of course, I must wonder if I have simply become an old man who thinks kids are degenerates and their choice of music reflects that. Something to ponder. Perhaps the lyrics in the 80s were racier than I remember, especially since I wasn't one to listen to much music even in my teens.

Yes, I am aware that sex has long been a staple of music. 'Afternoon Delight' and 'Strangers in the Night' are both about sex. There is talk of love, embraces, rubbing, and fireworks. The subject is clear but the wording is suggestive or oblique. Such is not the case with 'Sex Room.' Here are some selected lyrics:

"Leave nothing but your t-shirt and panties on."
"It's about to get real X-rated."
"Mirrors in the headboard, even got a cam-cord."
"Nipples hard as rocks."
"I'mma give you this dick to ride."
"Legs in the air, with your toes pointed."

There is the frequent refrain of 'in my sex room,' in case you are unsure what he is suggesting. Subtle it is not. There were many other 'songs' along the same line though this one was the most egregious. I have read/heard in the news for years about the sexual lyrics of rap but this was my first real exposure, made all the more powerful since a pair of teen-aged girls were listening without reaction. Where is Tipper Gore to rail against this? When these teens are my age, what sort of lyrics will be required to evoke a similar reaction to mine?

No comments: