Monday, October 7, 2013

Who Saw This Coming?

I follow Instapundit (http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/) and came across this today.  The Obamacare rhetoric has finally met the Obamacare reality and some eyes have been opened.
 
Cindy Vinson and Tom Waschura are big believers in the Affordable Care Act. They vote independent and are proud to say they helped elect and re-elect President Barack Obama.
 
"I was laughing at Boehner -- until the mail came today," Washura said.  "I really don't like the Republican tactics, but at least now I can understand why they are so pissed about this. When you take $10,000 out of my family's pocket each year, that's otherwise disposable income or retirement savings that will not be going into our local economy."
 
"Of course, I want people to have health care," Vinson said. "I just didn't realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally."
 
The entire article is available here:
 
 
Here we have a teachable moment.  As Ms. Vinson said, she wanted everyone to have health care but she assumed someone else would pay for it.  Yes, the Obama voter is always generous with someone else’s money.  I have tried for years – with disappointing results – to impart this lesson.  Government does everything less efficiently and more expensively than the private sector.  I also like how Mr. Washura ‘laughed’ at the Speaker of the House until he discovered that Boehner was trying to keep that ten grand in Mr. Washura’s pocket.  Hey, maybe Boehner has a point.
 
Of course, I don’t take these two to be evidence of massive failure.  Anecdotes can tell whatever story you want them to tell.  However, while selling Obamacare to the nation, Obama quite clearly stated that if you liked your current plan, you could keep it.  I suspect that these two are not the only ones who didn’t get to keep their current – and much less expensive – plans.  If only someone had warned that this would happen.  Oh, wait, I did.
 

No comments: